MAY 2019 - BARS MUST HAVE BEER GARDENS!
It's MAY, the start of "SUMMER", "COOL FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME", starts with an outside area.
You know that current space outside, you use to let patrons smoke?
NO MORE ! Stop losing money, just because you want your patrons to smoke outside.
Let them find another place outside, in front, in back on the side of your bar?
But right now, take the space you did give them, and transform it into an outside area for patrons to chill, to party, to chat, to dance, to celebrate Summer.
Over 5,000 bars/restaurants are expected to close this year.
You can either be one of them or be one that chooses to win.
Even if you can't serve outside, your patrons can still drink outside.
What your doing is adding some "ENERGY" to your boring, stale, predictable format.
While "Roof Top Bars" are the Rage, don't lay over and throw in the towel.
Quite the opposite.
Enhance you bar with a "Beer Garden", a "Tropical Paradise", a brand new place to enjoy.
You can make up all the excuses you want.
But, the bottom line is, when this weather turns hot, turns beautiful, who wants to sit in a worn out seat, in a dark room, and drink?
If your a "Dive Bar" and this is your business, fine.
But for those Bar Owners who want more out of their bars, I say "DO IT".
Take any outside area you have place tables, chairs, coolers as in stand up "Air Coolers", music, and create an entirely new atmosphere to your existing format.
Stop with the excuses, and explanations, your not serving out there, your seating out there.
Your giving your guests another reason to frequent your bar.
A brand new area.
It's "Summertime", if you can "Grill", if you can "SERVE", if you can feature "LIVE MUSIC", if you can host "CONTESTS", if you can have a "POP UP BAR", if you can do any or all of these dynamics, THEN DO IT.
Make sure it's a cool area, put up "HUGE UMBRELLAS", set up "KIDDY POOLS", always use "PLASTIC EAT WARE & DRINK WARE". Bring in a "DUMP TRUCK FULL OF SAND" if possible. Stop making excuses, and celebrate a" COOL SUMMER" @ your bar.
Have your Staff wear Summer Wear, not their own street clothes, "YUCK", but white shorts, tank tops with your name or logo on it. Visors or Hats, provided by Beer Vendors.
Tables with Umbrella holders, the Beer Vendors will supply the umbrellas.
If you can put up a FENCE, put up BANNERS, on the fence about upcoming Events.
The Banners of course, provided by the Beer Companies.
Never ever take "NO" for an answer.
Go over your salesperson's head.
I have called Beer Corporate Headquarters for Bars for decades.
I always get the desired results.
There is far too much Beer-Craft Beer Competition for any Beer Company with "POS" to ignore you.
And by the way you want "DIGITAL BEER SIGNS", take down those outdated neon beer signs, they are so backwards, they don't compliment your bar, nor do they pump up the beer in the neon sign.
So, you have chosen to go into the "Bar Business" even though the ODDS are totally against you.
Here are so "QUICK HIT TIPS" to keep in the front of your mind as you go through this process.
1. Never trust the books, too often they are cooked. The best way to buy a bar is to sit and observe. The number of Patrons? the Hours they come in? How long they stay? How much they spend? How many are Women? What is the quality of the Patron? What are they ordering? What condition is the bar in? What do the rest rooms look like, the rest rooms always can tell you the overall customer profile?
2. I have seen an Upscale Nightclub that closed, then become a Sports Bar, then become a National Chain Hamburger Restaurant, then sit idle and now a Statewide Chain of "High End Restaurants" is taking over this same "jinxed" location, pouring in lots of money, to open and to close within 2 years, because the format does not fit the area.
The best Concept for this location is a "Nightclub".
3. Then there is the former "Taco Bell" location, that became a Yogurt Franchise, then closed down, then a pizza place, then closed down and now after a major , I mean major investment is a "High End Italian Restaurant", but has no parking, you must pay $5 and let the valet park your car. I understand the food is exceptional, I hope they survive.
3. So much ego, so much arrogance, so much ignorance result in way too much failure. You may think you know it all, like a person who purchased a HUGE Building, made it into a Catering/Banquet/Event Facility. In the newspaper he was quoted as saying "I know it all".
Needless to say, the Venue sits empty over half the time, if not more.
He did not know anything about producing his own Events, his own Premier Themes, his own Happenings, his own Celebrations, his own Holiday Parties, his own Singles Mingles, his own Meet & Greets, his own Pre Concert Parties, his own After Parties, his own "Craft foods/Craft Beers/Craft Cocktail Nights. So, he is losing $, lots of it.
This is not about blame, it's about learning, listening, leaning on Experts who actually do know it all.
Recently, I had an Owner of a Restaurant/Bar/club contact me to Re-Start his overall business.
He is working 3 jobs just to keep the doors the open.
The problems are many, but his #1 issue is simple.
His entire format, caters to only 15% of the entire population in his area.
He did zero research, nada insight, zilch crunching of the numbers that equal his potential "Market share".
So he opened, and now is not hurting, he is suffering.
He said to me, " I am debating about turning to club promoters".
I responded "WHY"?
Who are these so called Club Promoters going to bring in?
What is the quality of these demographics?
What do you have to provide in compensation for this so called service?
What Authority do you have to relinquish in the way of Cover Charge, Door Personnel, DJ, Music spun, Dress Code, Drink Specials, Drink Tabs?
When you are working 3 jobs just to keep your doors open, and you then allow a stranger to take over what your dream was, you are playing with fire and you are going to get BURNT.
He does not have the knowledge, the experience, the financial means, the hands on ability to turn this venue around. What is the answer?
Sell it !
Take on a Partner with a minority interest but who has everything he doesn't.
Finally, sadly, CLOSE DOWN.
This a Fractured Business that is on life support.
Why people go into this food/beverage business with little to no knowledge, financial strength, experience, background, "SMARTS", "Leadership", and focus 100% on total success, is beyond me?
Want all the answers, Want to realize now that your biz is off, and you need to "KICK START IT", then don't wait, don't hesitate, don't even procrastinate!
Email, RichUnger@promotingnightclubs.com or simply fill out this form, it's so easy.
Why suffer through this Summer?
Your In Need Of Unique Art for your interior?
check out these "Richie Recommends".
THE KICK OFF TO SUMMER IS "MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND", IT'S A 4 DAY HOLIDAY ! SUMMER SIZZLES, SUMMER SPINS, SUMMER SHOUTS OUT, FOR A MAJOR FOOD-BEVERAGE-MUSIC-FUN-WOW ALL PART OF YOUR PRESENTATION. IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT A HUGE TENT OUTSIDE OR A BBQ OR A "BEER, BLUES, BEATS, BOOZE, BEAUTY" FRIDAY-MONDAY.
INCLUDING DISABLED VETERANS, HONORING OUR SERVICE MEN & WOMEN, SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN YOUR "MEMORIAL DAY COOL FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME".
AS I ALWAYS SAY OVER AND OVER,
LIQUOR VENDORS, CRAFT BEER & REGULAR BEER VENDORS, ENERGY DRINK VENDORS, ALL SHOULD KICK IN "POS", AND SPONSORSHIP FOR THESE PROMOTIONS. FOR ONCE, BE THE HOT SPOT FOR THIS HOLIDAY WEEKEND.
NEED MORE DIRECTION, GUIDANCE?
GO SLOWLY, GO SMARTLY IN STARTING A BAR, RESTAURANT, LOUNGE, SPORTS BAR, GENTLEMAN'S CLUB, BAR & GRILLE:
1. UNDERESTIMATING YOUR START UP COSTS
2. NOT HAVING A MARKETING STRATEGY
3. BLOWING YOUR DOUGH
4. CHOOSING POORLY
5. GOING IT ALONE
6. HIRING THE WRONG STAFF AND MANAGEMENT
7. SIGNING A BAD LEASE
8. CHOOSING A POOR LOCATION OR ONE WITH A HORRIBLE REPUTATION
9. NOT HAVING ENOUGH PARKING
10. NOT BEING ABLE TO PUT UP A NEW HIGHLY VISIBLE SIGN
11. GOING INTO BUSINESS WITH FAMILY
12. BUYING A FRANCHISE WITHOUT THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATING, DOING BACKGROUND, VISITING OTHER LOCATIONS OF THIS FRANCHISE
13. KNOWING WHAT YOUR MARKET IS GOING TO BE AND IS THERE ENOUGH OF IT TO SUSTAIN YOUR BUSINESS INTO PROFITABILITY
14. FINDING OUT WHOM YOUR COMPETITION IS AND WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO EMPTY THEM OUT
15. NOT BEING CONSISTENTLY CREATIVE
16. NEVER EVER RUN ANOTHER BUSINESS AS WELL AS THIS ONE, NEVER EVER. IF YOU CAN'T GIVE THIS 100% THEN DO NOT DO IT~
YOU NEED TO LEARN ALL OF THESE CHALLENGES YOURSELF, NOT BY ME INFORMING YOU OF THEM, BUT BY YOU DOING WHAT IT TAKES TO GRASP THEM.
THEN AND ONLY THEN, SHOULD YOU EVEN VENTURE INTO THIS INDUSTRY.
SHOULD YOU WANT THE BEST OF THE BEST ON YOUR SIDE?
ON TOP OF YOUR BAR, YOU SHOULD BE FEATURING:
"CROWN ROYAL PEACH"
MAKE ROOM, BECAUSE THESE BRANDS SELL AND SELL AND SELL.